When Dian works with managers, they often ask how they can manage others more effectively. She almost always asks them: how are you managing yourself?
This question applies to all aspects of life, both at work and at home. How are you: 1) gaining clarity around your needs; 2) managing your internal reactions; and 3) clarifying your requests before you open your mouth (or judge) others? This is why self-empathy – which I call "self-management," now a buzzword in business – is central to the practice of Nonviolent Communication.
Yet self-empathy is not always easy, especially if events in your life stimulate old, "fossilized" needs. These "fossilized" needs are often precognitive and connected to trauma, and as a result, "live" in your muscle memory. In order to fully release this "stuck" energy, it is necessary to engage your felt-sense while learning to empathize with your body and deeply connect with your younger parts.
Dian calls this process Somatic Self-Empathy (SEE).
- Retreat, collapse, or shut down in the face of push-back or conflict?
- Notice the same situations and stories are occurring again and again?
- Hit blocks internally when practicing self-empathy, and get stuck in your head?
- Want more skill in getting clear about your needs?
- Desire new, more powerful ways of practicing self-empathy?
- Want to create real transformation and change in your life?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then Embracing the Body: Somatic-Self Empathy, is for you!
During this course, you will learn how to:
- Deepen your felt-sense
- Discover and practice the "missing step" in the NVC process (somatic awareness)
- Listen deeply to your body and understand its "language"
- Draw on your senses to more deeply practice self-empathy and get past blocks
- Create transformational shifts in your life and with others
- Develop your empathy toolbox with emergency self-empathy "hacks"
This intermediate level course will be of interest to anyone who wants freedom from consistent triggers and blocks… more self-connection and empathy (including with your body)… better understanding of what your body is telling you… greater insight, self-mastery, choice, and more. (Note: If you are new to NVC, please be familiar with the four basic steps (observation, feelings, needs and requests) and with making NVC empathy guesses.)
By listening closely with deep empathy to your body and your younger parts – who often have been waiting for decades to be heard – you will free up energy, gain new insight, and enjoy more freedom and choice.