Whether you are an "official" leader or not, this ongoing program will support you in freeing yourself to fully step into leadership in all aspects of your life and work, and play your part in making life work for everyone.
Know first that leadership is not necessarily about your position in the world. Regardless of how many people are in your sphere of influence, your leadership is about taking responsibility for the whole, whatever that whole is: your family, your own life, a company you're running, or the world.
"Leaders are people who align themselves and their lives with what matters most to them. And who choose actions that care for the whole in the systems in which they live."
Leadership is an attitude, not a position. That means homemakers, CEOs, spiritual leaders, board members, mothers, fathers, managers, volunteers, and YOU can ALL step into leadership, exactly where you are.
Whoever you are, whatever your challenges are, this program is designed to support you in responding to the call of our times through ongoing coaching and support in the following areas:
- Stepping fully into your power, and using it creatively and collaboratively;
- Engaging productively with others in moving towards a shared purpose – whether it's at home, at work, or in your communities;
- Creating change within and without in response to everyone's needs;
- Bringing nonviolence more deeply into your leadership style;
- Functioning effectively at all levels, from internal to systemic;
- Combining power and love in a way that transforms the legacy of separation, scarcity, and powerlessness into a livable future;
- Increasing capacity to know and face reality as a source of greater choice;
- Bridging the gap between your vision and the reality of your life;
- Acting with integrity in more and more circumstances;
- Surrounding yourself with enough support to keep moving towards your highest goals; and
- Infusing your inner life with tenderness and acceptance.
If this sounds like a lot, know this…
- Because this program lasts a full ten and a half months, you will have a unique opportunity to receive acceptance, tenderness, and support from Miki as she accompanies you on your path towards full empowerment; and
- When you focus in this way, you're likely to discover your own healing accelerates in many areas – even though you're not directly focused on healing – because you will be moving towards purpose and vision.
This program gives you the opportunity to approach life from the driver's seat… connected with others… able to ask for what you need… and able to respond to what life presents with heart-felt care for all – and for life itself.
And… you'll be receiving support and companionship along the way…
How the Program is Structured…
This is the fifth year of this program. Many people come back repeatedly, and we have people who have signed up for all five years. We are awed by the groundbreaking success of this program in moving people forward in their leadership and establishing support networks that may last for years to come. There is no change from year to year given how much people find this program to become an oasis, a place of refuge and a lab of exploration of how to be in this time in human history.
This course attracts many people, more this year than ever before, and still manages to create a sense of community every year. People stay after the weekly call is over, and form temporary and lasting groups, some continuing well beyond the end of the year. This is not accidental: we need a lot of support when we step into leadership, especially when we want to lead in visionary ways.
Coming into the program you receive a huge pile of materials from Miki, along with additional ones as they become available. Those materials are for your deepening and learning, not a syllabus, as there is no curriculum and Miki doesn't do linear teaching. The focus for each week unfolds from what happens, which includes both what participants bring as questions, challenges, insights, or other requests, and what Miki brings from her living, active learning, and experimentation in her work elsewhere.
Miki's 2021 program includes:
- Forty-five sessions
We will meet every Friday from 12:00 - 2:00 pm Pacific (California) Time from February 5 through December 10, for a total of 45 sessions (recordings of all sessions are available to everyone who registers!). In each of these sessions, what happens emerges from what you bring to the class along with Miki's detailed, attentive, challenging, and tender coaching. There's no set curriculum, and the class operates like a lab, or as one participant called it: an international think-tank about leadership.
- Thirty-six or more Coaching Sessions with Miki
This program is designed for Miki to lead 36 or more of the 45 sessions. In these sessions, the focus will be on coaching you and the other participants through the specific leadership issues you bring with you. You can expect to receive hands-on, practical tips and tools in every one of these sessions, each of them designed to support your ability to live as a leader in all aspects of your life.
- Up to nine Guest Speakers
Up to nine of the sessions will be led by guest speakers – people chosen by Miki because they're applying the principles she uses in her coaching to the different areas of life in which they are immersed, including NVC, community organizing, running collaborative enterprises, leading thriving non-profits, and more.
We believe that the blend of Miki Kashtan's laser-sharp focus and passion for building a world of leaders who can make a decided impact on our world, and the skills and expertise of her hand-selected colleagues, is a unique and dynamic combination.
- Advance your ability to live as a leader in all aspects of your life;
- Enjoy greater ability to live your values and inspire others to do the same;
- Receive practical support from Miki and up to eight guest speakers;
- Increase your ability to hold awareness of multiple needs and forge a path of action at the same time; and
- Overcome separation, scarcity, and powerlessness.
Is this course for me?
Only you can be the true judge of whether Miki's course is a good fit for you and we offer a few points that may help you make your decision:
- Although this course is designed to support deep application of the principles and practices of NVC as Miki lives them, it is not focused on practicing observations, feelings, needs, and requests. Instead, it focuses on deep questions about how we live from within the commitment to nonviolence and to caring for the whole through the lens of needs.
- Although this course emerges from a huge body of work that Miki created over many years, with clear processes and areas of practice, it really isn't structured, and most of the teaching happens in dialogue and exchange with individuals, in response to whatever arises.
- Although the environment is dialogic and collaborative, and what happens emerges from all who participate, this is also a led environment; a laboratory for what collaborative leadership can look like.
What People Are Saying About Miki's Courses
"I watched myself change over the course of Miki's class. As a woman of African Descent, I was initially very timid about speaking especially to a large number of people that I did not know. As time went on, I learned the power of my voice and I learned that my words had impact even on those I did not know personally. I am so grateful that I chose to take the course and I look forward to another year of change and deeper learning." Anita F.
"The biggest joy for me was seeing and experiencing how NVC principles change the lives of participants including myself: it makes them more free, alive, open, creative, active, vulnerable and so on." D.V, Lithuania
"Having this consciousness stream to dive into every week for 8 months, was just the kind of steady current of support I have longed to discover in a world where I have grown accustomed to feeling like an outlier." M.G.
"Miki helped me understand that engaging with people can be very healing. So, since then I have been talking to people like I have never done before." Ralph N.